Posted on June 28 2019
It can be one of the most frustrating aspects of growing a beard. That one section that simply won't comply with your epic beard goals. Typically a small area on one or both of your cheeks. No matter what you do, you just can't seem to grow that area out.
Believe it or not, patchy beards happen to all of us. Your beard might grow in faster than mine and might grow in faster than another guy. It is what it is. There are a lot of factors including hydrating your skin, keeping your beard nourished, a healthy diet, genetics, and more. What works for you might work for me and vice versa. You can, however, encourage your beard to grow by taking care of your skin and beard as well as taking supplements like Biotin.
Men with epic beards have one thing in common: they take care of their skin and their facial hair. To grow a beard, avoid the itch, keep it soft, fragrant, and healthy, you'll want to follow the following steps:
- Use an all-natural beard wash every day or every other day. Do NOT use soaps or shampoos as those will dry out your skin and your beard.
- Use beard oil every day to keep your skin beneath your beard healthy and hydrated. A good beard starts with healthy skin.
- Use an all-natural beard butter or strong hold beard wax to moisturize and style your beard.
- Maintain a healthy diet of vitamin-rich foods including fish, eggs, spinach, berries, avocados, and nuts.
- Drink plenty of water!
- Take a daily Biotin supplement. Biotin is the B-vitamin responsible for hair growth.
Now, some of our customers with epic beards will tell you they had a patchy area for a year or two before that area finally grew in. So yes, patience is also a requirement. While you're waiting, use our strong hold beard and mustache wax to style your beard to minimize the patches. Once you're out of the shower and you've applied beard oil to keep your skin hydrated and healthy use a dime-sized amount of the strong hold beard wax to style your beard and hide the patches.
Not sure what length beard to go with? Here's a great resource from our friends at Groom & Style!
Lastly, if you have a patchy beard, own it! We can think of several men who grow patchy beards such as Keanu Reeves, Justin Timberlake, and Chris Pratt. In other words, you're in good company!